August 30, 2010

Utter Defeat, Unequivocal Disappointment

In some circles of the poker world, getting a job is also known as "checking into the poker hospital." It brings me great sorrow to have to admit this publicly, but... I've officially checked myself in. I finally realized that maybe it wasn't the best idea to "go pro" in the middle of a recession. In my defense, I didn't lose any money. It's just that breaking even is the same as losing when you factor in rent, bills, and other living expenses. My aim when I was playing full-time was to make $100 a day, but you can't live comfortably in NYC on that kind of money. On top of aiming too low, I simply just didn't work hard enough. I didn't play often enough, or for long enough sessions. I played at lower stakes which limited my earing potential. I was also kind of lazy about it in that I mostly played online which, if you ask me, just isn't... really... poker.

This major life change of mine will have little to no effect on this blog, oddly enough. I have a bunch of stories from the past that I'm writing up now, and I've played enough in the last few months to provide you with several more picture dumps. My bad luck is still working overtime for you guys, even though I might have gone part-time.

No comments: